There are reasons that you might be urged to move to the United States. It may be about being part of the family who resides in the US, maybe because of employment or being part of humanitarianism. To be a permanent resident in the United States you must have a green card. That green card is known as a Permanent Resident Card. Before you get a green card you will have to go through the process which is called the Adjustment of Status. While processing you need patience. Before we go for the steps, let’s give a simple definition of Adjustment Status.


Adjustment status is used for applying for lawful permanent resident status with no need to return to your home country to complete your Visa processing in order to get the green card. Now moving on to the steps we go.


Are you ready? Let’s go! So let us briefly explain every step for adjustment of status to get that green card of yours. The first thing to consider is to determine if you are eligible to apply for a green card. There are many qualifications if you are eligible, you can check this website: for more information. But what if you don’t possess all the qualifications or your green card application is denied? What needs to be done? Is there no way out? What I can tell you is that you may have a chance to get that green card. You can make an appeal for the green card by filing Form I-290B or the Notice of Appeal or Motion form. There would be a payment for it. Second, you must file an immigrant petition form for yourself if applicable. This form is used to ask an appeal to the US government in order to have permission to live in the country. That form has different types depending on your situation. Third, you’ll have to check visa availability, you need to be updated with regard to the cut-off date of your Visa. Fourth, you will have to file a Form I-485 which is used for applying for lawful permanent resident status. Processing this form will take 8 to 14 months. Yes, you really need extra patience in waiting! Fifth, wait for a notice to be sent in your mail, this would be for your appointment at a local Application Support Center (ASC), it is for your biometrics services, they will provide your fingertips, photograph, and/or signature. Your biometrics will be used for verification purposes. With regards to the appointment, they will send you a notice which includes the date, time and location of the said appointment. Sixth, in some cases, you will need to be interviewed by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for them to review your cases. The interview question will be based on oath or affirmation regarding your Form I-485. They will send you a notice in your mail for your appointment. On the interview, you (and someone who has helped you in your petition, if you have one) will bring the original documents you have submitted together with Form I-485.

Seventh, if ever you have not submitted all required evidence, or have passed evidence that is invalid, and the officers need time to check your eligibility, you just have to respond to a request for additional evidence. Eighth, after successfully fulfilling the previous steps, you have to check the status of your Form I-485. You can check it online or by contacting USCIS Contact Center. Before reaching out, you must prepare the specific information regarding your application, such as your receipt number, A-Number, name, and date of birth. Lastly, USCIS will have their decision about your application, they will send you a written decision notice. You are lucky enough if your application is approved. When it is approved, you will receive an approval notice first and next is the actual Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) later on. On the other hand, which is a disappointing one but we need to accept the fact! When the application is denied, you are unable to make an appeal for the decision. However you can still be eligible in filing a motion to reopen or reconsider. You will have to use the Form I-290B or Notice of Appeal or Motion. By the said steps, you really have to take risks and patience to wait. In addition, you also need assistance from an immigration attorney to guide you through the process.